The government has deleted or de-activated over 11.44 lakh permanent account numbers (PANs). This was informed by minister of state for finance Santosh Kumar Gangwar in a written reply to the RajyaSabha.11,44,211 PANs have been identified and deleted or de-activated in cases where multiple PANs were found allotted to one person. The same has been done in in cases where multiple PANs were found allotted to one person and in cases where they were allotted to either non-existent person or in the names of persons with false identities. There have also been cases where PAN card details of some people have unknowingly been used to create or support fake identities.
A person cannot hold more than one PAN. A penalty of Rs. 10,000 is liable to be imposed under section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961 for having more than one PAN.
If a person has been allotted more than one PAN then he should immediately surrender the additional PAN card(s).
To check whether your PAN No is still valid, you need to visit Income Tax e-filing website. Here is a quick guide on how you can check the validity of our PAN card
All this has created confusion about the validity of PAN cards. Here's a step-by-step guide to check if your PAN card is valid or not.
1) Log on to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on 'Know your PAN' which is on the left column under the 'Services' section.
2) As soon as you click on the 'Know your PAN' tab, you'll be redirected to a page where you are required to fill in your details like name, status, date of birth and contact number.
3) Once you have submitted the required details, you will be redirected to another page where you will have to put the OTP sent on your registered mobile number.
4) Enter the OTP No. recieved and click on 'Validate'.
5) If your PAN card details haven't been dupicated or issued to multiple people, the last page will show only your PAN card details as 'Active'.
6) But if you have more than one PAN card registered under the same personal details, a pop-up message will appear that says, "There are multiple records for this query. Provide additional information."
7) Further in case you are holding more than one PAN card by mistake and all your PAN is deactiviated then you need to write a letter to AO in the below mention format to activate PAN card
I Mr/ Mrs XXXXXX Son / Daughter / wife of Mr.XXXXXXXXXXXX Resident of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Mumbai- 400067, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:-
- That I am the permanent resident of above said address
- That I am the Pan Card holder bearing its no. XXXXXX
- That I do not hold any other PAN card other than above PAN card
- The reason for this request as my PAN card is deactivated I want to reactive the PAN
- That I did not have any other PAN in my name and I have not used any other PAN for any other purpose
- I am filing my return regularly for more than 6 Assessment years
- I did not received any communication from department mentioning about any other PAN/PANs
Indemnify to president of India about and dues arising against the unwanted PAN which is determined in future. On the basis of information received in respect of deactivated PAN.