After the implementation of the RTI Act 2005, a large number of RTI applications have been received by the public authorities. The RTI applications were sent through post or in person by the citizens. This became on e of the challenging task for the public authorities to manage and monitor such bulk amount of RTI applications. An initiative was taken by the department of personnel and training to facilitate citizens in filing the RTI applications and to facilitate public authorities in managing and monitoring RTI applications, by applying the tools of Information and Communications Technology (ICT).
Method and Scope:
“RTI Online” has made a new beginning by extending the ICT based services for filing of RTI Request and First Appeal online to the citizens of India. The current portal of the RTI online portal is (https://rtionline.gov.in). There or 2 interfaces on the portal viz. Citizen Interface and Public Authority (PA) 29 Interface. The Citizen interface is integrated with payment gateway for online payment of RTI fee and additional fee, if any, by the citizen. The PA interface (https://rtionline.gov.in/RTIMIS) enables the various functionaries of Central Government Public Authorities to manage and monitor the RTI requests and first appeals and thus providing necessary information in a time bound manner.
The portal and its Silent features:
- Citizens can file RTI applications and first appeals online.
- Online payment facility provided to pay the RTI fee and additional fee through Credit/Debit cards of Master /Visa or Internet Banking of SBI and its associate banks.
- Unique registration number for the RTI requests and first appeals filed/registered through the portal which is system generated.
- Citizens can also track the status of their RTI request or first appeal.
- Citizens can also avail the facility of SMS and Email alert at various stages of the life cycle of RTI request and first appeal.
- The facility for registering and uploading the RTI request and first appeal received physically by the public authorities is also provided.
- Alerts on pending RTI requests to CPIOs.
- Monitoring of RTI requests/first appeals by CPIOs/FAAs through various MIS reports.
- For the purpose of communication to Information seekers at various stages of processing of RTI requests/first appeals there is facility of System generated letters.
- Monitoring at the level of Nodal Officer for all CPIOs and FAAs.
- Generation of various types of Returns to be submitted to CIC.
- Facility for parameter based search on RTI request and first appeals received in a public authority.
- System maintains the history of all the actions chronologically in the life cycle of a RTI Request and first appeal.
Stepwise process for filing RTI online (Submit Request):
- The citizen or person willing to request for information can than click on the submit request button to submit the application. This button will provide you with 20 guidelines as laid under:
GUIDELINES FOR USE OF RTI ONLINE PORTAL
- This web portal can be used by Indian citizens to file RTI application online and also to make payment for RTI application online. First appeal can also be filed online.
- An applicant who desires to obtain any information under the RTI Act can make a request through this Web Portal to the Ministries/Departments of Government of India.
- On clicking at "Submit Request", the applicant has to fill the required details on the page that will appear. The fields marked * are mandatory while the others are optional.
- The text of the application may be written at the prescribed column.
- At present, the text of an application that can be uploaded at the prescribed column is confined to 3000 characters only.
- In case an application contains more than 3000 characters, it can be uploaded as an attachment, by using column "Supporting document".
- After filling the first page, the applicant has to click on "Make Payment" to make payment of the prescribed fee.
- The applicant can pay the prescribed fee through the following modes:
(a) Internet banking through SBI and its associated banks;
(b) Using credit/debit card of Master/Visa;
(c) Using RuPay Card.
- Fee for making an application is as prescribed in the RTI Rules, 2012.
- After making payment, an application can be submitted.
- No RTI fee is required to be paid by any citizen who is below poverty line as per RTI Rules, 2012. However, the applicant must attach a copy of the certificate issued by the appropriate government in this regard, alongwith the application.
- On submission of an application, a unique registration number would be issued, which may be referred by the applicant for any references in future.
- The application filed through this Web Portal would reach electronically to the "Nodal Officer" of concerned Ministry/Department, who would transmit the RTI application electronically to the concerned CPIO.
- In case additional fee is required representing the cost for providing information, the CPIO would intimate the applicant through this portal. This intimation can be seen by the applicant through Status Report or through his/her e-mail alert.
- For making an appeal to the first Appellate Authority, the applicant has to click at "Submit First Appeal" and fill up the page that will appear.
- The registration number of original application has to be used for reference.
- As per RTI Act, no fee has to be paid for first appeal.
- The applicant/the appellant should submit his/her mobile number to receive SMS alert.
- Status of the RTI application/first appeal filed online can be seen by the applicant/appellant by clicking at "View Status".
- All the requirements for filing an RTI application and first appeal as well as other provisions regarding time limit, exemptions etc., as provided in the RTI Act, 2005 will continue to apply.
After reading all the guidelines citizens are to click on the checkbox “I have read and understood the above guidelines and thereafter click on the submit button.
This guidelines screen contains various guidelines for using the portal will look as under:
- After agreeing to the guidelines and clicking on the submit button the online request form screen will appear. This form enables you to file the RTI. This screen will appear as under:
- The Option of Select Ministry/ Department/ Apex body dropdown shall enable you to opt for the Ministry/ Department for which the applicant is willing to file the RTI. Further on providing the mobile number the applicant shall be provided with the facility to receive Sms alerts. Also while filling the above form the fields marked in red * are mandatory while others are optional.
- Further more if the citizen comes under the BPL category (ie, Below Poverty Line) No RTI fees is required to be paid by such citizen in accordance with the RTI Rules 2012, provided that he shall select the “Yes” option against the question “Is the Applicant Below Poverty Line?” and shall also upload in the supporting document field the BPL Card Certificate. It is to be noted that the Supporting document should be in the PDF format and the file size should be upto 1MB only.
The above screen related to the BPL information shall appear as under:
- A unique registration number shall be received on submission of the application. This unique number can be used by the applicant for any future references. This screen shall appear as under:
- Incase the citizens belong to Non BPL category he is to select the option “No” against the question “Is the applicant Below Poverty Line?” and is thereafter to make a payment of Rs. 10/- in accordance to the RTI Rules 2012.
- This payment of the prescribe fee can be made by the applicant with the help of the following modes:
- Internet banking through SBI and its associated banks;
- Using credit/debit card of Master/Visa
- It is further to be noted that the text for RTI Request application should not exceed 3000 characters. Incase if the characters exceeds 3000 than the RTI application can be uploaded in the supporting documents.
- After filling all the details in the form you can click on the make payment button. Once you click on the make payment button the online request payment form will appear.
- The payment mode shall be selected from the following payment mode viz;
1) Internet Banking,
2) ATM-cum-Debit Card,
3) Credit Card
The online request payment form shall be displayed as under
- Hereafter, clicking on the pay button, the applicant shall be directed to the SBI payment gateway for making the payment. Once the payment is done the applicant shall be redirected to the RTI Online Portal. After the submission of the application the applicant shall be issued with a unique registration number. This number can be referred by the applicant for any future references. Also on submission of the application the applicant shall receive an email and sms alert (if mobile no is provided).
- The application filed through this web portal would reach electronically to the “Nodal Officer” of concerned Ministry/ Department, who would transmit the RTI application electronically to the concerned CPIO (Central Public Information Officer).
Step wise process for Submission of First Appeal:
- To submit the First appeal application one has to login to https://rtionline.gov.in and thereafter click on the Submit First Appeal Button option.
- After clicking on this button it will direct you to the guidelines screen similar to the submit request button and the screen will appear as under:
- Thereafter you have to click on the checkbox and click the submit button after which the login screen for the submission of the RTI First Appeal Form shall appear as under:
- Here the applicant is to provide the Registration no., email –id and the security code. After clicking on the submit button the RTI First Appeal Form shall appear as under:
- The applicant can state the reason for the appeal application by selecting from the Ground for appeal as provided in the drop down. The process hereafter is similar to the submit request as mentioned above. On the submission of the appeal a unique registration number shall be issued which can be used for future references as well.
- If the applicant wishes to view the status he/she can do so by clicking on the View Status button. After which the Online RTI Status Form shall appear which will be displayed as under:
- After filling the necessary details click on the submit button thereafter the Online RTI Status form shall appear as under:
Inacse additional payment is demanded by the CPIO the screen will appear as under
The applicant will be hereafter directed to the payment gateway which will appear as under
- Once the file is uploaded successfully the following screen shall appear: